Every Body’s Better With Bitters!
Friday | 1:00 – 4:00pm | $50
August 9, 2019
Wellness begins in the stomach and good digestion begins with bitters. This class will discuss the role of bitter herbs for improved digestive function and optimal health. After learning about the three categories of bitter herbs – heating, carminative and bitter – students will discuss the basics of herbal extract formulation. Then, students will formulate their own bitter tonic to take home.
The Bitter Truth
• Bitters support the assimilation of nutrients and the elimination of toxins. Both are crucial for good health.
• Humans evolved eating bitter foods as part of a daily diet. Now, given dietary choices, most people prefer salty and/or sweet foods to bitter ones.
• The National Institute of Health Estimates up to 70 million Americans suffer from digestive disorders resulting in $50 billion/year in direct costs and absence from work.
• Digestive bitters are used in almost every herbal tradition in the world, especially in Europe.
• Signs of digestive distress are gas, indigestion, bloating, undigested food, diarrhea, constipation, acne, eczema, and low energy.